Thursday, April 05, 2007

Tagore in Praha

Professor Nigel Hughes, Dept. of Earth Sciences, University of California, Riverside sent us these photographs of the statue of Tagore in Praha and the street named after him. He writes:



On the bus, when I caught a glimpse of the statue, my first thought was that it might be Marx not Tagore, but that seemed most unlikely..I was visiting Praha to work in the National Museum on their magnificent fossil collections, having worked there for a month or so some 12 years ago. People are extraordinarily kind there - my friends there even arranged a private astronomic viewing at the Praha Observatory! They really love natural history.




Nigel was a student in Santiniketan in 1985-86, an experience from which he hopes "he will never recover". His research concerns fossil trilobites, which he collects from the Himalayas, among other places, hence continues to visit Bengal...

When I travelled in Hungary I went to visit the famous Tagore Promenade at the Balatonfured.


No comments: